Kunsthaus Dahlem is an exhibition venue for postwar German modernism (East and West) supported by funds from the Berlin Senate Chancellery – Cultural Affairs. It is administered and operated by Atelierhaus Dahlem, a non-profit subsidiary of the Bernhard Heiliger Foundation founded in 2013.
Located at the edge of the Grunewald, the building was opened as an exhibition venue in summer 2015 after dismantling and renovation in accordance with historic preservation standards. There is also a permanent exhibition on the building’s eventful history, free-of-charge to visitors.
The exhibition venue concentrate on the presentation of sculpture, which is supplemented by painting, prints and drawings, and photography. It focuses in particular on the years from 1945 to 1961 (when the Berlin Wall was built) in which the capitulation and occupation, the smoldering East-West conflict, the blockade of Berlin and its overcoming by the airlift of the Western allies, and the founding of two German states were central historical moments. From an art historical perspective, these decades were characterized by ideologically superimposed, officially supported and funded art movements: “abstraction as world art” (West) and “Socialist Realism” (East). Independently of these two, however, a number of unofficial stylistic directions and artistic positions developed, that led to a complexity of German postwar modernism that is often overlooked.
The opening exhibition „Portrait Berlin“ will run until June 2017. Alongside this main exhibition, we present four temporary exhibitions per year on the second floor, which relate to postwar modernism. In addition, we regularly offer guided tours, special programmes and art workshops.