László Péri (1899-1967) emigrated from Berlin to London in 1933 – persecuted for racial and political reasons, the capital was no longer a home for the Hungarian-born artist after the National Socialists took power. He had worked in Germany from 1920 to 1933. The renowned gallery owner Herwarth Walden exhibited his concrete and wooden sculptures as well as his spatial constructions together with works by László Moholy-Nagy on several occasions. From 1924 to 1928 he worked as an architect at the Berlin municipal building office. While his early works of the 1920s have recently received increased public recognition, his work after his emigration is largely unknown today. The exhibition – organized in cooperation with the Gerhard Marcks Haus in Bremen – is dedicated to this chapter of his life and work, in which Peri worked primarily figuratively and in cement.
Opening 28th September